How to Setup a Network at Home


Computer and Laptops prices are getting so cheaper by days that many people have more than one PC or laptop at home. So if that is the situation, you will prefer to have to shared computers to access the other PC to retrieve a files, play multiplayer computer games, share your broadband internet or printer sharing. Yes, sharing of computer is possible and there are a lot of good things which are mentioned above. Those are the advantages of having a network at home. Usually for setting up a network you need two PC and a maximum of many computers can be added practically but for home you mightn’t require more than 4 pcs. There are several ways of setting up a Network at home.
network setup
Generally when you have single PC connected to internet it will have Cable/ DSL Modem between PC and the internet. There are many ways of setting up network which are explain below :
1. Network with Hub in between
An easy and the cheapest possible way to connect other PC to the available network is to use a Hub. The possibilities on how many computer can be connected with the hub depends on the hub. If you hub has 4 output ports then you can connect the network into 4 different PC wired.
There are different sets of Hubs are available – 4 port, 8 port and 16 port. You can call up your internet provider to if you want to have separate IP address for other PC connected to the network but they might charge for it.
2. Network sharing with ICS Software
You need to install two network card one the second pc and other at the computer which is connected to the PC 1 and then connect them with CAT5 cable. You need to configure the connection between PC 1 and PC 2 as a private network and then configure PC 2 to access the PC 1 and install Internet Connection Sharing software available freeware. One such I found isProxy v4.15 software. This is probably the cheapest way to connect second PC to a computer and also proved to be least reliable one.
3. Network Using Router/Gateway
Here you installed a router in between hub and DSL model that you connect. A router will allow multiple computers share one ISP account with one ISD assigned to IP address. The router provides IP addresses for the home network. As we have seen Hub allows multiple computers to access the Internet, the router just before hub provides security.
The advantage of using router is that all the computers are protected by firewall, file sharing between PCs is safe and doesn’t need any cost towards setting up ISP accounts. You can connect multiple computers to home network without additional cost with easy pc configuration. But the only limitations is that it can cost you hundred dollars depending upon the gateway devices and it features.
Talking of the most security wise, I would go with home network with router although its costly but you need to have a protected private network.
Share on Google Plus

About dadasdasdas

My name is Subha. I’m interested in computer science, music and literature. Computers first appeared in my life when I was fifteen. Then I had got my first computer. I remember myself thinking, that it was the best thing in the world. I was playing it whenever I could but some time later, I noticed that I could do a lot more things with the computer, for example programming. So, I have started my graduation in Computer. Later i have decided that I can spread my knowledge among peoples. So, I have started blogging.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments: